16.3.10

...Faces Part I...

Boredom in all of its glory has attacked me with full vengeance. There is only so many times you can go to the USO to surf the web or browse the PX for crap you don’t need or watch movies; and I’ve reached my limit. Just about everyone in Bravo Co. has gone on a mission into Iraq and I’ve been stuck at Buehring trying to keep myself entertained. Two and a half years it’s taken me to get here and a multiple entry visa into Kuwait is what is keeping me from photographing the unit doing what they came here to do; convoy security during the pull-out. My ultimate goal was to create a book documenting everything from mobilization training through the deployment and finishing with the men and women returning home. All I can do is curse and become more frustrated.

So instead of wallowing in my self-pity and boredom, I’m going to start a portrait series of Bravo Co. while I wait. Initially I was going to only shoot portraits with my Holga and develop the film once I returned home, but due to my boredom, I will be shooting digital portraits as well as film in order to keep myself occupied. Here is a selection of my first group of victims.

Sipping on an espresso while uploading photos...for some this sounds great, but for me, I feel like I’m at an all time low. At least the heat and sand are keeping me from being completely pampered. If we only had a swimming pool and fruity drinks with little umbrellas……….I’ve left Ft. Hood and I’m still in Purgatory. Waiting.

- The Exodus

Sgt. Juan Luna / Pvt. Aaron Wright / Sgt. Troy McElwee / Sgt. Matthew Bertelli / Pfc. Juan Aguero / My killer studio!






































































































































































1 comment:

  1. Looks good Nigel... keep it up no matter how boring or frustrating.

    ReplyDelete