11.3.10

...reflection part III...

I find myself staring at roughly 170 photos from Ft. Hood that I’ve yet to edit and send off to be added to the 245 photos I have already archived. My goal, upon entering Kuwait, was to share a handful of photos that summed up the entire mobilization training at Ft. Hood. That was not possible since my week went something like this: not being able to eat at the DFAC, having a room with second platoon, getting kicked out of the room in second platoon, not being able to eat, almost being deported, finding a new room with third platoon, not being able to eat, sleeping in transient tents at Ali Al Salem, not being able to eat, getting my IDs at Arifjan, coming back to Buehring (not deported) and swamping the blog with a bunch of posts Giunta had written...and finally being able to eat at the DFAC after finding out all I needed was a bloody stamp on my ITO.

I was lucky enough to be able to stuff my face at the many fast food chains that have graced Buehring. It’s a weird feeling being in a so-called ‘combat’ zone and eating at a Burger King, KFC, or Taco Bell; the whole sense of danger and adventure seems to be lost. Hearing that the terrorist threat here at Camp Buehring is still high baffles me, I have more of a chance getting killed or hurt back at home crossing the street. Grant it, I will be going into Iraq quite frequently, but the war here has come to a halt for Coalition Forces, allegedly. It seems the Iraqis are too busy killing themselves during the elections to even care about the withdrawal. Don’t get me wrong this is nothing to complain about, but I wonder if I will be the only photographer to spend a year in a ‘combat’ zone and be as green as the day I arrived.

The cluster *f-bomb* that this blog has become over the past few days should hopefully start to clean up in the near future. Giunta has written some great stuff below these photos, so I strongly suggest you dig back if you haven’t already read them.

- The Exodus










































































































No comments:

Post a Comment